Wednesday, January 20, 2016

Baby, It's Cold Outside

There is a big snowstorm coming. Probably. At least where you live. It’s going to be cold and you can sit by the fireplace and talk about the upcoming NFL championship games.

Me? I will be in balmy Palm Springs to catch a few days of the California Winter League. It’s supposed to be in the 70s. Don’t hate me.

The California Winter League is a short season instructional league consisting of 14 teams and over 300 players. It runs from mid January to mid February and plays all games in two ballparks in Palm Springs, California. Its purpose is to provide coaching for unsigned players and allow scouts to take a look at that talent. About half end up with professional contracts or sign with an independent league.


One ticket (about 8 clams) gets you a seat to all three games for the day. That’s a lot of baseball and of course fans will get hungry. I will be testing the dogs at both venues and adding a little color about the ballparks as well. Hopefully the California Winter League takes hot dogs more seriously than the Arizona Fall League. I’ll try to hit a hot dog hot spot or two while there as well.

So while you are breaking out the snow shovel, I’ll be breaking out the sunblock and trying to decide which tee-shirt to wear for the day. Again, don’t hate me….I do it for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment