Thursday, February 19, 2015

Head West Young Man

In a few weeks it is off to Arizona to test the hot dogs in all of the Cactus League ballparks. I will be using my system for judging the dogs from last year while a I devise my new system for testing the the MLB specialty dogs during the regular season.

For those of you not in the know, MLB spring training is held in two locations. Half of the teams practice and get into shape in the Arizona desert in what is known as the Cactus League while the other half heads to steamy Florida for the Grapefruit League. I’d love to try the dogs in all of the ballparks of both leagues, but there are these things called time and money, not to mention the distance. Plus, many of the Florida State League (FSL) teams play in their parent team’s spring training ballparks meaning I have already visited several of them.

While there are 15 teams in the Cactus League, there are only 10 ballparks. Some teams share facilities, which makes fiscal sense. A few, like the Cubs stadium, are brand new and should be exciting to visit.

Baseball has been in Arizona in the spring since 1947 so the area is steeped in baseball history. And there is that Sonoran hot dog thing. If you didn’t read my post last year on the Sonoran, no worries...you will hear more about it, along with some great Cactus League action.

No comments:

Post a Comment