Wednesday, March 11, 2015

Hot Dog Hot Spot: Short Leash Hot Dogs

If there is one thing I love more than hot dogs, it is real dogs (although, strangely, real dogs seem to love hot dogs more than me). So what better place to hit between spring training games than the coolest, hippest, most dog friendly hot dog joint in Phoenix?

I moseyed (that’s one of them southwest terms) down to 110 E Roosevelt St which happens to be Phoenix’s artsy district. Hot dogs and art? Normally not a mix, but once you see the menu you will think differently.

The Cozy Interior
Short Leash Hot Dogs is the brainchild of Brad and Kat Moore. The two met working at a YMCA in Texas over 20 years ago and in 2010 parlayed Brad’s business acumen and Kat’s interior design skills to form one of the most unique and tasty hot dog eateries in the United States. Brad is the brawn behind Short Leash and is the hands on hot dog dude while Kat is the brains and chief hot dog designer. Kat is responsible for such magnificent monstrosities as the Aiko Dog (mango chutney & and a drizzle of mayo), the Igby (coleslaw, blue cheese and BBQ sauce), the Devil Dog (roasted red peppers, green chilies, sriracha, sauteed onions, cheddar cheese & jalapenos) and other off the chart entries. Now you know why this joint belongs in the art district; each dog is itself a masterpiece.
The Bear

Being a baseball guy I opted for the popular Bear Dog. It was a winner in an Arizona Diamondbacks hot dog contest and sports an all-beef frank, peanut butter, gouda cheese bacon, BBQ sauce and cracker jacks. You know….”buy me some peanuts and cracker jacks.” A baseball-themed hot dog was just what I needed; even if it did have peanut butter on it.

A bit apprehensive, I downed that puppy in no time. Hard to believe but that crazy combo works well together. And thanks to the naan bread bun replacement (as with all dogs at Short Leash) it all held together nicely. I’d eat it again….and intend to the next time I am in Phoenix.

Wall of Dogs
But wait! There’s more! Unlike many wiener waypoints, Short Leash sells beer and wine. PLUS...they have a dog-friendly patio. In fact, you can send your dog’s photo to Brad and Kat on their social media page. If your mutt is featured on their wall of wag your pooch can enjoy a FREE hot dog on the patio. If your dog know this and you do not send its picture to Short Leash Dogs I suspect it will bite you...hard.

Looking to bite a dog that bites back? Try the flaming inferno known as the Devil Dog as Short Leash. Send me a full report and I’ll post it on my blog. I was too scared to try it.
See my video interview with Brad and my table manners below:


No comments:

Post a Comment