Saturday, August 15, 2015

Mobile Baybears: Conecuh Dog

When I lived in Pascagoula Mississippi years ago, I went to Eddie Stankey ballpark to see the Mobile Baysharks of the Texas-Louisiana League. A few years after I left, Mobile acquired a franchise in the Southern League and had a nice AA ballpark built. I really wanted to catch a game there. Well, I finally made it. That new ballpark they built, Hank Aaron Stadium, is now the oldest in the league. Let’s just say it’s been awhile since I first saw professional baseball in Mobile.

But I was not disappointed. Perhaps the Baybears were with the turn out though. On a Thursday night when school just returned to session, I was in the ballpark with about 100 other fans in the seats. It’s kinds of creepy and cool at the same time. It was also a great night to be at the park, and a good night for a dog. I had the Conecuh Dog. Conecuh is a local sausage manufacturer and they supply the frank for the specialty dog.

Appeal-I would have bought one just to figure out what the name means. It looks good in pictures and once the concessionaires showed me one I was all over it. 4

Ingredients-a top quality local sausage and grilled onions and peppers. I would recommend beefing up the amount of onions and peppers by about 20%. 4.5

Uniqueness-other than the name, this is a sausage dog. 3.5

Monstrosity Factor-it is large, but not overly so. A really hungry fan could down two of them. 3.5

Value-for $7 and the size and quality, this is a decent ballpark value. 4

Overall Taste-I expected it to be spicier, but it was still delicious. I especially enjoyed the graininess of the rough cut of the sausage. I would have liked more onions and peppers, but it was still a great tasting dog. 4.5
APPEAL4
INGREDIENTS4.5
UNIQUENESS3.5
MONSTROSITY FACTOR3.5
VALUE4
OVERALL TASTE4.5
TOTAL24
An overall score of 24 is a good showing for a small-market minor league team. It was one of the few games this year that I had the time to stay the entire game and enjoyed myself so much that I felt compelled to. I guess waiting all those years to get to Hank Aaron Stadium was worth it. And Hank rewarded me for my patience: I got my first foul ball of my trip.

No comments:

Post a Comment