Monday, April 27, 2015

Visalia Rawhide: JJ Putz Dog

It was a cozy night to build a fire. By cozy I mean catching a game in the ballpark that seats the fewest fans in any MLB affiliated baseball stadium. With 1,888 seats Recreation Park is the smallest with each seat offering a close encounter with the Visalia Rawhide. By fire I mean the fire in my mouth. I chose the JJ Putz Dog (named after a former player). Other entries of size were variations of the sausage dog named The Big Unit and Luis’ Linginusia. I chose the JJ Putz because it was the spiciest choice. I like spicy.

The result was a large and zesty sausage on a toasted bun generously drizzled with deli mustard and a pickle. It was a good sized dog for the price and after the first bite I was asking the usher where the water fountain was. That puppy was warm.


Appeal-the names affiliated with former players is a cool idea and had me asking about each. 4


Ingredients-a quality sausage, and a nice toasty bun. It could use a few more toppings. Grilled onions perhaps. 3.5


Uniqueness-a few other teams use the player moniker on dogs, and the sausage on a bun is done in nearly every ballpark. 3.5

Monstrosity Factor-it is a large dog, but I had no trouble downing it. 3.5


Value-seven smackers is a fair deal for the size and quality of the entry. 4


Overall Taste-while it could have used a few more toppings, my taste buds that were not burnt off enjoyed it. 4.5
APPEAL4
INGREDIENTS3.5
UNIQUENESS3.5
MONSTROSITY FACTOR3.5
VALUE4
OVERALL TASTE4.5
TOTAL23
For the size of the ballpark Visalia does a pretty good job of offering up some variety in the dogs. While it will not be a top contender if I ranked the minor leagues, it is all about doing the best considering the resources available. And with 1,888 seats the Rawhide are never going to sell a ton of hot dogs. Kudos for being as good as they are.

No comments:

Post a Comment